It may seem surprising, but the washing machine drum requires periodic cleaning. This is surprising because people often naively assume that it cleans itself during the wash cycle. Indeed, by washing the laundry, the drum could be cleaning itself at the same time. Questionable logic, but it’s not uncommon to assume this and the drum doesn’t clean itself.
Remember, a washing machine, like the rest of the appliances in the house, requires preventive maintenance. Such preventive maintenance of a washing machine is periodic cleaning of the drum from all kinds of impurities. Despite the interaction of the drum in the process of its work with the foam, not all the dirt escapes with the drain water. It is worth noting that it is not always possible to clean the tank with the help of additional means, and requires complete disassembly and cleaning by service technicians – masters of repair of washing machines. Our service center performs such work as well.
Why does the drum of a washing machine become dirty?
The recommended interval for preventive washing of the washing machine drum is once a year. But this is only a recommendation, as the frequency of drum cleaning depends on many factors. To understand how often you need to clean the drum of your particular washing machine, you need to consider where the dirt comes from.
- Limescale from ‘hard water’. You might be surprised to learn that the main source of drum limescale is water. Not water itself, but the limescale that builds up when you heat it. Limescale builds up on the cylinder walls and, if not removed in time, can cause damage to moving parts and drum joints. The harder the water is, the more often the cylinder must be cleaned.
- Dirt from clothing. The items we wash may introduce quite large dirt particles, sand, lint, and threads into the drum. Various items left in your pockets may also fall into the drum. The more often you wash the items, the more often you will need to have the drum cleaned.
- pathogenic bacteria, mold, and mildew. A damp and cool environment is the perfect breeding ground for fungi and pathogenic organisms. This atmosphere prevails inside the drum. It is always advisable to wipe the cuffs dry and open the door slightly after washing. If you follow these recommendations, you will need to clean the drum less often.
Preventing soiling of the washing machine drum
If you ignore preventive measures to clean the drum of your washing machine, one day it may unpleasantly surprise you with an unexpected breakdown. That is why, as we have already noticed, you need to have the drum flushed every year.
Here’s how to do it, but first let’s look at some preventative measures to reduce the amount of dirt on the drum walls and in the tank where it resides.
- Install a water filter in the water supply. Modern washing machine filters not only clean the water more thoroughly, but they also ‘soften’ it. This reduces the amount of limescale that builds up when water is heated. Filters filled with phosphate salt have similar qualities.
- Before putting an item into the washer-dryer drum, carefully check all the pockets for any forgotten items. It’s crucial to remove everything, including large threads and lint.
- Things that go in the washer may be differently soiled. It’s a good idea to give your jumper, shirt or trousers a couple of shakes before putting them in the machine. This will help remove large particles of debris and any dust and sand.
- The ideal solution for washing all your clothes is to use a wash bag. These are available everywhere and come in different sizes. They prevent big items from getting caught in the drum. They prevent large items from getting into the drum – even a torn button will not damage the washing machine.
- The cuffs have to be wiped dry every time. It is not possible to remove all moisture from the drum, so it is better to leave the door slightly ajar. This will prevent the formation of fungi and mold.
If you still did not manage to recognize the cause of this breakdown by all the points provided above, or if you do not want to waste time guessing, North Country Appliance Repair Service is always happy to help you and provide a professional diagnosis and repair of your washer on time.