Failures of the fan
As a rule, breakdowns of this unit are found in LG refrigerator models equipped with the “No Frost” system. The fan is used to dehumidify the internal capacity of the chamber and cool the evaporative equipment, some models provide two fans – for the freezer and refrigerator compartment respectively. It should be noted that during the operation of the refrigerator with two fans, the hum by itself will be higher than during the operation of the model with one unit. If the noise level index exceeds 45-50 dB, the reasons can be the following:
– Drying out the grease on the bearings. As a result, the moving elements begin to rotate with difficulty, which causes squeaking.
– Appearance of ice crust on the evaporator element. As a rule, the refrigerator hums heavily if the ice layer is very thick, accumulated over several months. When rotating, the fan clings to it with its blades, due to which a rattle is formed.
Repairing the LG refrigerator with the “No Frost” system requires lubrication of the bearings, if necessary, they can be replaced. Depending on the condition of the heating element, you may need to repair it. You also need to check the fan: if it failed, bent, or broke from contact with the ice crust, you will have to install a new unit.
Faulty electrical circuitry
If the work of the compressor creates a lot of noise, while the refrigerator can not be started, the problem may be as follows:
– Failure of the starting protection relay. You can replace it yourself, but if there is no experience with electronics, it is better to call a master.
– Failure of the fan. When you turn it on, it tries to start, making a loud sound; usually the cause is a short circuit in the winding of the motor. As a rule, it is caused by high humidity. To correct the defect you will need to dry the insulation system. If this does not help, you will most likely have to install a new fan.
– The compressor has failed because of the load. If the housing feels overheated when touched, a new unit will need to be installed. It is worth noting that this work is often too time-consuming and expensive; repair with replacement may be irrelevant, but buying a new refrigerator will be more appropriate.
– Damage to the evaporator element and increased load due to the use of liquefied freon. In this case, a complete replacement of the motor may also be required.
Throttle capillary tube clogging
If the refrigerator is very noisy, it could be a clogged pipe. A characteristic sign of such a breakdown – along with extraneous sounds, the temperature readings of the refrigerator chamber change. Depending on which pipes are clogged, the problem can affect the freezer: the equipment stops keeping cold, and the products begin to spoil faster. It is not possible to eliminate the malfunction on your own, it is advisable to immediately call the specialists.
It is worth noting that noises after cleaning the throttle system can continue for 3-4 hours. The excess refrigerant increases the load on the compressor and the temperature changes. To reduce the noise, it is necessary to get rid of excess Freon in the system. It can be necessary to do it also in case you bought a refrigerator comparatively recently.
If your LG refrigerator began to make too much noise, and you do not know what to do, the best option would be to contact the service center. Employees of our company will perform prompt diagnostics and eliminate the causes of extraneous sounds, whatever they were caused.
Elimination of the problem of loud operation of the compressor is performed by unscrewing the shipping bolts. This will require a 10-wrench or screwdriver, depending on the model. Many bolts have large plastic holders.
If you still did not manage to recognize the cause of this breakdown by all the points provided above, or if you do not want to waste time guessing, North Country Appliance Repair Service is always happy to help you and provide a professional diagnosis and repair of your refrigerator in a timely manner.